Tuesday 20 April 2010

Maybe they have a lizard?!

It’s been a while since my last blog post, but I’ve been searching high and low for a clue to these strange fleas that I found, and it’s been taking up all of my spare time! I left a message on the Arnolds’ answer phone asking them to call me with any more information, but I haven’t heard back yet so I guess they must be pretty busy right now. I just had to do something myself, so I got busy looking through all the old archives of various flea species to see if any of them looked similar to the ones that I found. This is where the mystery deepened! After trawling through what felt like millions of files and descriptions, I finally found a type of flea that I reckon is identical to my mystery bugs. The picture of the preserved flea looked exactly like those from the Arnolds’ cat; same shiny jet black shell, slightly larger than the average flea. It has to be the same one! Except.....it was last recorded in existence almost 300 years ago....how could it possibly be the same one? Perhaps the species died out but somehow a few were preserved, or they migrated to another country but had found their way back to the UK. It just didn’t make any sense! I seem to have found an extinct species of flea, alive and well on a suburban cat! The original name of this flea species has an old form of the word ‘lizard’ in it too...but surely fleas aren’t attracted to lizards? Perhaps these ones were? Hopefully I can get some answers from the Arnolds when I hear back from them; I’ll let you all know what I discover once I’ve spoken to them! (Maybe they have a lizard?!)

Check out Dragon-Zoo.com for more on our Dragons!

No comments:

Post a Comment